Clement-Jones family 12/22 - Person Sheet
Clement-Jones family 12/22 - Person Sheet
NameCaptain Thorold Arthur STEWART-JONES , 163
Birth1873, Liverpool
DeathMay 9th 1915
EducationHaileybury And Trinity College Cambridge (BA 1895)
FatherEdward Stewart JONES MA , 150 (1830-1900)
MotherEmily Elizabeth Pauline THOROLD , 151 (1843-1934)
Birth1884, Alverstoke, Hampshire
Death31 May 1942, Chelsea
FatherAdmiral Swinton Colthurst HOLLAND , 165 (1844-1922)
MotherEva Amy WILLIAMS , 660 (1860-1940)
Marriage30 Apr 1908, Lewes
ChildrenRichard Llewelyn , 198 (1914-1957)
 Edward Thorold , 191 (1912-1972)
 Diona Vere , 202 (1909-1975)
 Elizabeth Eve , 207 (1910-2004)
 Michael , 213 (1915-1949)
Notes for Captain Thorold Arthur STEWART-JONES
Barrister, businessman. Of Southover Grange, Lewes, Sussex. Barrister Inner Temple. Captain in Royal Sussex Regiment. Killed in Action near Richebourg in WWI in 1915.

His widow, Eva Joan, and mother, Emily Pauline, were prime movers in erecting a granite cross outside the north-west corner of Southover Church, dedicated in 1921; the family left the Grange in the following year.

See for a description of Southover Grange.

Commemorated on Le Touret Memorial Panel 20 And 21, Richebourg L'Avoue, Pas de Calais, France. The Le Touret Memorial commemorates 13,479 British soldiers who fell in the fighting from October 1914 until 24th September 1915, when the Loos Memorial takes over. The Royal Sussex Regiment has 443 names commemorated in all.


From Wikipedia:

“it was bought by Emily Stewart-Jones who was a wealthy widow.Eva Joan Stewart-Jones and her children at Southover Grange in 1916.
Emily Elizabeth Paulina Stewart-Jones (1843–1934) was born in 1843 in Devon. Her father was the Reverend William Thorold. In 1871 she married Edward Stewart-Jones who was a property owner. The couple had two children – a son named Thorold and a daughter, Pauline. Edward died in 1900. When Emily bought Southover Grange in 1907 her son Thorold Arthur Stewart-Jones who was a barrister lived with her. He married Eva Joan Holland in 1908 and she also moved into the Grange. Over the next seven years the couple had five children. Unfortunately Thorold died in 1915 in the war. He was killed in action while leading a charge on the Western Front.[His wife Eva and the five children remained at Southover Grange with Emily. A picture of them at the house is shown. Emily sold the property in about 1920 and John Ernest Howarth Lomas bought the house.”

Captain Thorold Arthur Stewart-Jones was the Commander of the 5th Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment. He was one of the first to be killed when leading a charge in the Battle of Aubers Ridge. The Times correspondent described it as “a charge to certain death”, declaring the bravery of the soldiers in the fighting unequalled by any during the war.

The Battle of Aubers Ridge - The full horror of the day revealed in letters written home by survivors.
An officer of the 2nd Battalion:
“After a bombardment by our own guns on the German trenches, the good old Sussex went forward like one man, only to be met by a fire from the gunners which simply mowed us down like rabbits. I cannot express myself as I should like to, but it was perfect hell. We had 14 officer casualties and 580 men casualties. The barbed wire in front of the German trenches was not cut by our shrapnel as it had been planned, and we were caught up like rats in a trap… though we were unable to take the trenches and had to retire, we got through, and the men were all heroes, for they enabled others to go through and reap the honour and glory.”

Another officer:
“Stewart-Jones devoted all his efforts, sparing himself neither time nor trouble to make his company efficient and he succeeded beyond all expectations… He always thought of his men first. It was a fine thing to have nursed that company as he did, and, leading them into action, fall at their head right against the German trenches. When he reached the front trench with ‘Nine’ and ‘Eleven’ Platoons, which in that part was vacated, seeing gaps in the assaulting line (which was lying down in the open), he dashed on with great gallantry and overtook the 2nd Sussex line, and with them advanced in short rushes. Stewart-Jones and a few others got to the German wire – but no-one at all got any further.”
Last Modified 28 Dec 2022Created 4 Mar 2023 using Reunion for Macintosh